2007-04-03

Was Out Of Town, Now Back To Tango

I haven't gotten much of a chance to write but it's been a lot of tango anyway. But not as much as some of the foreigners out here, who take at least 2 or 3 classes a day. I see some of them at the prácticas and at the classes, and since I imagine that it's likely that if I see you at one class, you're probably taking other ones that I don't know about. Like that weird German guy with the moustache. Man, I should take that guy's picture. But his tango is pretty good, all things being very relative. It's surely better than mine. But sucking more or less is not really a great honor these days. And now my new book, Sucking At Tango.

I'm just being modest, really: I do still suck, but I think it's pretty clear that someday I'll dance okay (or maybe even well).

Let me see if I can remember anything from the week:
  • Saturday, March 31: I went to Tango 2 class in Copello where we did enrosques with women's giros. I walked out in the middle because I got pretty frustrated. I really think that this is pretty much the hardest thing I've seen yet, because you have to pull the woman along as your feet catch up differentially. And at the same time you have to keep your balance.
  • Sunday, April 1: Stayed in in the morning and mi chica helped me with enrosques. What's the final analysis: that until you have really good balance spinning and doing the enrosque alone, you can forget about doing it well with a woman.
  • Sunday night: Went to the class with Carla (Tango Discovery) at Malabia 1738 1ºPiso at 9pm and práctica afterwards. Has anyone ever noticed that the floor sucks!? It's absolutely impossible to spin. Though if you have shoes with cromo it's nice because it roughs it up again (which is good, because in general you don't want your shoes too slippery). Anyway, there were very few people at the práctica.
  • Sunday night, still: Then on a hot tip, we headed to Brujas for Salsa... wrong! So we headed to the Viruta and I really danced almost all night long until 6am. It was incredible: I really got some concepts on, and at some points I was really improvising and connecting with the woman. I mostly danced with my Mexican friend Karla, who is one of the coolest people I've met in Tango.
  • Monday April 2: Hey man, it was Passover! I never made it anywhere, and since everything was closed due to Malvinas' day I couldn't take any classes during the day. Did figure out how to make an awesome kugel though!
One interesting note about the Viruta on Sunday night is how damn crowded it was. Also, people SUCK in the Viruta so they bump into you even when you don't fuck up.

Another interesting note is a general one about Buenos Aires which I noticed when I was dancing salsa a lot: Sundays before feriados are always way crowded. The Viruta was so packed on Sunday night that it was only acceptable if you were in a good mood in the first place. I was, remarkably.

No comments: