2007-04-21

Moving Ahead With The Plan

Well, this blog has stopped receiving any notable hits, and that makes sense since I've stopped writing here.

So what's been going on? A lot of tango lessons and almost no going out for now. I've been doing a lot of Tango 2/3 and Tango 3 at DNI and I really like those classes, because they focus on technique. Then I can come to the classes at Copello and everything just happens, because I'm learning how to deal with the woman's weight and stuff. It's funny: mi chica thinks that DNI is something I should do later on, once I learn the basics. But DNI is the only place that's focusing on the basics: none of the other classes I've seen focus much on connection or any of that kind of detailed stuff. So DNI is pretty cool in my opinion, and I also dig them on a personal level. It's not easy to find Argentinians that do not go with the general cultural idea that ignorance (and stupidity) is bliss. At DNI they welcome questions, investigation, and all that stuff. Good people.

Tonight at Tango 2 in Copello (which is more advanced, at least theoretically, than Tango 2/3 in DNI) Jose and Viky were at Teatro Empire where they danced the inauration of Otro Aires 2, which is a Cd and the band might have the same name. So Cecilia Gonzalez, who teaches with Eduardo Saucedo in the Confitería Ideal taught with her partner (something with a G). She's incredible and probably one of the coolest people in normal Tango Salón. They taught a cool figure, and I noticed that the balance exercises I'm doing at home are really paying off.

Well, I'm writing this while I'm wasting time before going to a party here in Buenos Aires (with all professional tango people, which means that no tango will be danced or mentioned except to name names and say who is doing what or who did what to whom. It's a costume party so perhaps I'll put up a pic or two). Anyway, this is one of the funniest things about non-tango Buenos Aires (which is most of Buenos Aires): stuff starts late. Going out starts late. And they don't eat dinner late (unlike Madrid, which was totally easy to handle: dinner late, going out late) so you have all this dead time until about 2 or 3am when you hit the party. It's a great time to get work done or work on your balance or whatever. Whatever you do, unless you hang out with really cool people, do not hang out with them before going out. I learned that the hard way in my Electronica days: people are practically falling asleep waiting for the night to start.

Tango solves all of that.

Note: While I'm writing this I'm listening to

http://www.pandora.com/share/station/59a5ffbc6b0338727773f45f809158c7b605a4ab5f33e08b

which you can check out if you sign up with a valid US address with a real postal code like 94113 (for San Francisco, California) or whatever. But it's illegal to use the service if you're not in the US, of course, so I wouldn't recommend it.

No comments: