2007-04-08

No Tango Last Night, But We Got A Link

As everyone knows, since Google started, the Internet works based on who links to you. We finally got a mention somewhere (http://www.fishnetsandfedoras.com) so we're now well on our way to fame (and later, fortune). I just have to put in better content, better photos, and more brilliant observations on Argentinians. I think I have a lot to contribute on this last point.

First let me say that I'm getting ready to go out and Saturday Night Live is coming in on cable channel whatever here in Buenos Aires, and my question is always the same: did it always suck this badly, or was it better when John Belushi was alive? I suspect that we only see the great skits from when Belushi was alive.

Anyway, yesterday was my parents last night here so I missed all tango classes. Then I died and couldn't go out (sore throat, fever, everything). However, everyone that did go out last night said the same thing: Canning was really crowded, and the Viruta was really not crowded. Which is strange. Is there any way to predict the patterns of these things in Buenos Aires? Tonight I think I'll head to the Viruta, but I have my doubts.

Anyway, since it's after midnight I'll write about today, Saturday, too. I went to class at Copello (Tango 2 with Jose y Virginia). Nice stuff with a man's primera sacada and a woman's tercera sacada. The figures came out nicely, which demonstrates my new spinning technique: if you suck your gut in and bend your knees, you will be much more stable.

Anyway, the information you won't find anywhere is that the class was nice with 1 or 2 men over a 1:1 ratio. Not bad, and Jose and Vicky are cool, but they're used to correcting at a pretty low level (no wonder they're the only people who can dance in the class). Also, once you get out of North America, questions about easy recipes and stuff never get answered. This guy asked tonight, "what's the secret for doing spins?" And Jose says, "work." Well, yeah, but there are a few tricks out there (Salsa Freak Edie What's-Her-Name had some great spinning tips a while ago).

Anyway, I think I'm heading to the Viruta. Here's a picture of my triply-non-kosher passover-week pizza:

No comments: