2007-04-13

Getting Back To Classes

Suddenly I'm not that into going out to milongas, although I'll go and observe and dance a bit. It's not that I can't dance -- and in fact I've gotten quite good and moving around in the milonga without bumping into people, and I do it better than people who are better than me -- but rather that I just don't think it's the right context in many cases. Nah, maybe my attitude is wrong and I'll adjust soon, but sometimes I just don't feel like "practicing" with (on) people.

Went to DNI class at 7pm last night (Tango 3 or 2/3) with Cristian and Carolina (and Pedro). Really fun stuff, and I'm beginning to get some idea of what the play of energies is in tango (and in dance in general). It's not that you push into the floor, but rather that when you push into the floor you rise up with your torso, and that's a general play that you're doing all the time. At least that's what I'm beginning to understand. The only thing DNI does is detail that stuff better. It's not really that different.

One of the things they hit with DNI is the verticals of the figure (down or up, bending your knees more or less) and it REALLY helps the figure come out a lot. It's pretty brilliant, actually.

Much much later went to Catedral (at 1.30am) and it was very dead, although the usual group of foreigners was hanging out. But there were so few people that it was hard to figure out who one would dance with, though last night I wasn't that interested in dancing.

Today I'll be heading to DNI at 7pm and then to Copello for 9pm (they're pretty close if you think about it). After 3+ hours of classes perhaps I'll be done for the night, or perhaps ready for a milonga. Not sure yet.

No comments: