2007-03-24

Toward a Taxonomy of Tango

Blogging every single day isn't easy business, especially with all this tango and other stuff happening.

The last 48 hours have been hectic. The events have been:
  • class at DNI with Cristian y Carolina on Thursday evening. We did a not-so-hard figure that started with the man stepping out to the woman's right (or the woman takes her step on two to her right and the man stays put). All of that with the usual rebounds and DNI stuff.
  • class at Copello on Friday evening with Jose and Virginia. We did a simple figure (well, not for me much) with contra-tiempo traspies. They're not easy much.
  • práctica Tango Cool at Villa Malcom after Copello
And then after the práctica at Tango Cool headed to a dancer party which was ok until I somehow redirected a big part of the party into a big tango lesson. It was pretty cool because these were heavy classical dancers talking about tango. There was a couple who teach classical dance in Palermo, Italy (in Sicily) and I ended up asking them about my main debate these days, "to DNI or not to DNI?" More on this later, but the lesson was quite cool. The main guy, Roberto, really feels that you can make a taxonomy of "parole basiche" like sacadas or voleos.

He shows me four types of sacadas which are basically all the types. The man can do them to the woman or the man can have the woman do them to him (es siempre él quien las marca, claro). The four types of forward, side, backward, and then a fourth weird type which is kind of double and comes from reversing the giro. I understood most of it.

Oh yeah, then we had an interesting conversation about the crossing on 5. He thinks that you have to mark if you don't cross, because otherwise it just follows el código del giro. I'm still trying desperately to understand that point.

Unfortunately, I have to get to class at Copello, but I hope to write on my favorite subject (DNI or not? aka To Tango Nuevo o no?) soon.

No comments: