2007-03-25

Argentinians Have No Groove

Yesterday I went to Tango 2 in Copello with Jose and Virginia. We worked on another sacada with a voleo after it, but the important focus being on the traspiƩ contratiempo for the guy. Nice figure.

At the beginning of the class we were working on walking, just simple 1, 2, 1 y 2, and I suddenly realized that Argentinians' horrible sense of rhythm can even be seen in tango. I knew, from salsa, that they have no sense of rhythm, but salsa is more difficult in some sense because every man (and woman) is a drummer (at least in Cuban Salsa, but in on-2 mambo it's worse because you have to be able to locate the rhythm). Anyway, in salsa I've seen some incredible barbaridades, but in tango I just figured that it can't possibly be that bad. But after watching my compaƱeros walk around, I realize that this may be general problem. I'll be observing on the dance floor, especially los viejos milongueros. Although the music is so obvious that they must be able to follow it, right?

New camera, so more photos to come.

No comments: