2007-03-16

Thursday at Canning Definitely Sucks

I'll write this quickly because I just thought of the idea of this blog yet I'm leaving the house. Hopefully the quality will improve over time.

Went to DNI Tango 2/3 yesterday (7pm) with, er, the short teachers. They're cool (incredible dancers) and the students are generally quite good, and I think the DNI "technique" is generally good (more on this later). However, the class was too crowded and they're working on the roof in the hallway, so you have to dance in the main sala. It's really too crowded to work.

At DNI we did right turns, and then right turns with a barrida (I call that a contra-barrida, where the woman sweeps the man's foot), and then right turns with a sacada and a sandwichito and a cool DNI type thinger (with rebotes). As always, to be clear, the man marks the contra-barrida as well, it is not the woman's decision. So how do you make sure the woman does the sweep instead of just stepping over the foot? By keeping her well planted downwards.

Then caí in Canning at 1am with Ornella and Aldea (my tango tourist friends from Catania, Sicily) and there were like 15 people, median age of 50+. If you're into the "older milongueros are the best" type of thinking, Canning wasn't the place to be anyway. Go to El Beso on Thursdays for sure.

A woman that I asked to dance was annoyed with my dancing but she did insist on lasting the whole tanda with me. Nice! She dances tango milonguero which is to say apilado. She did instruct me that 99% of people in Buenos Aires dance milonguero. Which is obviously false, and demonstrates how Buenos Aires works: everyone knows what's in front of them, and those are general truths that they never check.

That's it for the first post! I'm off. Tonight I'll be at Tango 2 in Carlos Copello (shhhh, don't tell anyone, they're still closed) and then at the práctica in Tango Cool (Villa Malcom).

No comments: