2007-05-26

Too Many Damn Classes

So Naveira was great the other night at Practica X, although perhaps it's not the most emotional tango around.

Anyway, I've been keeping up my rhythm of 7 classes or more per week, and today I tried two new ones. The first was great: Tango 4 at DNI with Sebastián and Eugenia. I like the way they teach, and the figure was really cool: I finally understood how to get the barridas to always be lateral or frontal or whatever. The second one was Tango Salón with Fabián Peralta (at Carlos Copello at 6pm for , which was more like Bailar como Fabián Peralta with Fabián Peralta. The idea of the class was cool: he basically focused on rhythm. But the way he did it was kind of retarded, although I think I'll be able to use those concepts soon. Basically, with syncopation you have more options than quarter- or eight-notes. You can also do eighth quarter quarter eighth, which is must easier to handle in terms of movements than straight eight notes.

But anyway, I've been analyzing my dancing for two weeks now and there are a few things I want to clear up. First of all, as my friend Agnes from one of those Baltic countries says, you don't wait for the woman to get to her axis. You lead her to arrive at her axis faster (No esperes que la mujer descargue. Hacé que descargue más rápido). And then I'm having this other problem where I'm just sucking and dancing weakly and unsurely (whatever). So I'm trying to get back to my onda, which has to do with learning to dance and making the transition, and putting everything together and dancing.

But one of the things I've decided recently is that I really do need to focus on repertoire. I really need to start getting a handle on the figures that I know, how to connect them, the figures that I don't know and need to know. Now, most of this would be better with a dance partner, which I do not have yet (though you can always get somebody to come once a week, which you could also do in the prácticas without a problem, in fact you could just ask them to try something, it's no problem) but it's also just a mental practice. One of the best things to do while you're falling asleep is to think of some of the figures that you've learned recently.

I'm wondering if I should keep a log of the figures I've learned, or a Kbase.

This last week Download.com and Softopedia.com (and others) finally published the Trashpad by Confusionists, Inc.. It's a tool to be able to do freewriting without anybody being able to read your stuff, ever, because it deletes the text as it scrolls off the screen.

No comments: