2007-05-07

Tango Tango and The Southfest

I haven't been writing much, but I've been keeping my tango at a high volume. And I've even gotten some time -- with talcum powder -- to work on balance and spinning at home. I don't know if it's a good idea to be working with "help," but it sure feels right. I remember that when I was 11 learning to play snare drum, the surface made a big difference. Now I can do really fast doubles on any surface with or without drumsticks.

I've been checking out the class at Tango Cool (www.tangocool.com) a lot, and it's interesting but I do have questions about whether it's compatible with what is now considered "traditional" tango salón. According to Gabriel from Tango Cool, his stuff is actually more traditional, going back to the old Milonguero stuff. Basically, the man moves his base (knees which move feet and waist) instead of moving the torso to move the woman around. The torso keeps connection with the woman, which is how the woman eventually moves... ? Well, I don't have it that clear yet. But in any case, the Tango Cool prácticas are the best aside from Practica X, which is really the coolest around.

Then I've been going to DNI a lot, and I hope to check out a class later today at Tango Brujo (early, something like 19.30). And I'm still hanging around at Tango 2 at Copello (Jose and Viky, who are dancing with Tanghetto at Sabor a Tango this Thursday early, at like midnight). I have to say that as far as what I've seen so far, DNI is ironically the most conservative: lots of emphasis on the abrazo cerrado, and although they talk about vínculos (links) they do try to lead from the torso. Actually, if you watch Gonzalo dance -- he's the best after Pablo, who I've never seen -- his arms move way less than Christian's (the youngest of the dancers).

And in between all of this I went to the Southfest to dance on empty water bottles and see David Guetta, who said it was, "the best gig of the year!" I have to admit that although the place was too full because it was raining outside, and people inside were moving around a bit too much until about 4am, it was a great time. You can't just do tango.

One of the great differences is that after a real night of joda you have coffee at 7am to relax after the war. Breakfast at 7am after the milonga is just sustaining an already calm night (even if you dance all night). Once in a while a good night of joda is really great.

No comments: