2008-06-18

This Blog, Alejandro y Marisol, DNI Saturday Night Tango Danced to Rock

It's weird, but today I was looking for the Practica X blog to head over there and suddenly... there I was. www.EsQuienSoy.com, right on the front page of search results and above Practica X. Admittedly, this was in the English search results, but still... pretty neat.

So what about Practica X. First off, Alejandro and Marisol danced. They are really good. Lots of musicality and modern stuff and so forth, but it's obvious (and true, if you ask them) that they come from Tango Salón (or Tango Milonguero, depending on who you ask... these two categories get confused/mixed quite a lot). Why? Because of how they move (caminata, really). And while I was at it, I asked Marisol what's up with the classes, because the horario I put in http://tangobsas.blogspot.com/2008/05/alejandro-and-marisols-classes.html is just wrong... so here are some classes with them.. ah, forget it, check out their website at http://www.marisolalejandro.com.ar/seminariosclases.htm, but note that they go on tour from September onwards or so. You should check 'em out if you're somewhere in one of the countries they're touring. Fun to watch, good posture, good movement.

Practica X is great: people are nice, there are an abundance of woman who dance well, and a minor detail which is very important: there are no (or few) tables. It's organized like a dance place (like a salsa place), so basically, if you're not dancing, you're waiting to dance. I hate how there are tables in milongas and so people are facing each other and engaged and you're supposed to break in and ask a woman to dance. I know, my friend Cristina from Barelona would say that cabeceo (nodding to ask a woman to dance) is a whole world and you have to get into it to appreciate it, but it just doesn't turn me on... or at least not yet.

So every time I go to a Pedro and Julieta class on Saturdays at DNI at 7pm (what's the class called? "Tango danced to REM?"), Pedro asks me if I'm going to write about them here. The answer is no. Jajajaja, no, seriously, the classes with them are fun but perhaps a bit too informal. I happen to be in the ingroup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingroup) so some of the jokes are about me, but I prefer the classes to be didactic with less joking around. However, why do I go to their classes? Some really good female dancers show up on Saturday night, the sequences are fun and challenging, and Pedro and Julieta are very insightful and are interested in the students' progress. They are also funny, to be fair, but not funny enough to have their own comedy show, you know? As all of my acting classes keep reminding me, comedy is not funny.

I want to write an entry soon about a technical point about leading, but I hope to get to it soon. I've been busy but as Argentina explodes (crisis soon!), my tango is advancing. Oh, and when I get back from the US in July, I'm going to start teaching private classes de Inglés para profesionales de Tango. 500 euros an hour :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The entire world is set for some "interesting times", Argentina is simply doing it in its own particular style.

500 euro an hour is no bad.

Dan Rosenstark said...

Thanks for you comment. Perhaps you're right about Argentina just being part of the World in terms of this latest phase. But it seems that Argentinian economic crises are a constant thing that happen every 5-12 years. Let's see how this next one affects El Tango (amongst other things).